The government has decided to ban 59 Chinese apps forever.
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology said that a new notice has been sent to 59 Chinese mobile apps. Now the government is preparing to ban these apps forever.
- Last Updated:January 26, 2021, 8:41 AM IST
Due to the border dispute with China, about seven months ago, the Indian government had sent a show cause notice to 59 Chinese apps. Now the government has sent a new notice to these apps so that they can be banned forever. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, in a statement issued last week, had said that the response received from the companies on the first notice is not sufficient. Therefore, the government is now preparing to ban them forever.
The government had banned 59 Chinese apps in June last year. The companies banned by the government include Tiktok, Hello App, WeChat, Alibaba’s UC Browser and videos like UC News, Sheen, Club Factory, Like, Bigo Live, Clash of Kings and Cam Scanner.
The government had banned these apps under Section 69A of Information Technology. An official with knowledge of this matter said that the government has decided to completely ban these 59 apps.
On September 2, the government had banned 118 more apps. After this, in November, the government decided to ban 43 more Chinese apps. These also included apps like AliExpress. Apart from this, PUBG Mobile, Snack Video, Camcord, WeWorkChina and Videt are also included. According to media reports, Alibaba’s UC browser has stopped its operations in India after the government’s ban, for information, let us tell you that Modi amid the tension that started after the violent clash between the soldiers of India and China on the Ladakh border. The government had banned Chinese apps. After this, there were several rounds of diplomatic and military level talks between the two, but no solution to the border dispute has been found so far.